1 star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 stars 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
4 stars 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
5 stars Awsome ! 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: 1974 Gaming. How online gaming can destroy videogameconsoles
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:39 pm 

1974 Gaming. How online gaming can destroy the videogame consoles.
By: Maikel de Bakker.

Video games have always set them apart from computer games although not many people know the difference. Ok so you want to know the difference. Well here we go. It is quite simple in fact. Computer games are played on a personal computer or notebook/laptop these games are single player games that can often be played online with other players there for it often are secondary multiplayer games. This means that you are not playing with 2 or more friends on one personal computer or notebook/laptop but everyone is at their home playing the game alone but sharing it online with their online friends. While Video games are played alone, and not online and with several friends on that same console. Also Video games used to be less in to the graphical games but more in to the game play experience. But this all changed a few years ago when game consoles started to go online. Making the gap between video games and computer games closer and closer.

So why can this destroy the videogame industry?

Closing the gap and not being different than the computer industry makes people wonder why they chose videogames in the first place. Because if it comes to graphics and online play the Personal Computer will always win! With the X-box 360 and PS3 people start to forget what video games were all about. Then you might ask “what are video games all about” well there about friends coming by at your home to play, having fun and giving hi fives with them, sharing one console and all the fun. Videogame consoles were always about game play, and fun and never about visualizations of a realistic world nor was it meant for online play.

Blurring this gap means that more and more video gaming people go to computer gaming and forgetting about the friends that they had at home and the fun they had with them. I even see more and more people making the switch to the personal computer or notebook/laptop because of games like World of Warcraft or games that are alike that. And even calling the people they meet there their friends. While there so busy playing the game and forgetting the real world around them the video gaming people have less friend to play with and with more of their old friends playing PC games the temptation is getting higher and higher to get in to PC games them self. All because Halo, Phanatsy star universe, Lost Planet, Half Life, and World of Warcraft are all games that run better on a PC than on the game console.

What might safe the video gaming world from this happening?

The Nintendo Wii has one thing at the right end! It is a console that is meant to be fun and not pretty nor realistic. But still it has a flaw. Gamers want to go online! And we want to share our games with as many players as we can!! The problem is we do not want single player games that can be shared online with friends. But we want games that we can play together and online. Let me explain what I mean with that. Let’s say you have a game console that is open for online play. We take that console and we create a game that can be played with 4 people on one console and you can still go online with these 4 friends. Opening up a new way of playing videogames! Making it fun again having your friends at home and still playing with even more people online! This would open up new ways of game play.

Going online is important for the gaming industry but sharing the fun with your real life friends might be more important. Fore player fun on a game console and getting online will expand the gaming experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 pm 

Nice Column Maiky.
But beware, players of MMO's might be offended.
Calling a guildmember a friend ain't bad, same as you have a friend list on your console for online games. It's just the best way to call it.

And in case of WoW, even Blizzard calls to you to take all things in moderation (even WoW) and tells you to go out with your friends. So the devellopers of MMO's and the players of MMO's know what they are doing. There are exceptions offcourse.

And about destroying the Videogame consoles, Personnaly I don't think it will go that way, as long as Nintendo, XBOX and Playstation continue to improve more things then just the graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:07 pm 

Again i don't agree. People play lan games hardcore. There's more lan parties than console lan parties(or contests).

Also, how can video games destroy video gaming?
You could go online with your dreamcast, gamecube, ps2, xbox (360) and what not.

What do you mean with a pc winning over a consoles graphics capability?
Surely pc's , when up to date can easly out do a console, but dos that even matter? It's not like "PC" stands for the latest hardware available.
Incase of some games consoles fail quite badly, but usually when you are offered a choice it would be wise to go for the console version because you know it will work when you turn your console on.

And as for the online buddies you're talking about. Well, you probally already knew how i think about that, but i'll tell you agian. There are multiple ways to play online games. One way is to go play with random people, which also mean you might wanna keep contacts after playing. Another way is to play with people you regularly play with. Regulars, or friends. Now there are these people between, that you do know, but don't nessesairly want to play with. I would'nt call them friends, but you greet them, have confos with them and you play with them every now and then.
Your friends list should be small, like it is in real life.
Many people think that games also can't be personal. It's the internet after all right? Well, if the internet was so bad and dangerous, then why did i meet a whole bunch of people (including maus and carlo, both member on this forum) without any problems? In my opinion the internet is a great way to play games and be social. But when the internet becomes normal to one, he go back to the next best thing, offline story games.

Holy things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:59 pm 

Quote:
Again i don't agree. People play lan games hardcore. There's more lan parties than console lan parties(or contests).
lanparties is for hard core and not put away for every one. also that still means that you will be sitting alone behind 1 screen...

Quote:
how can video games destroy video gaming?

i said computer games can kill video games

Quote:
What do you mean with a pc winning over a consoles graphics capability?
Surely pc's , when up to date can easly out do a console, but dos that even matter? It's not like "PC" stands for the latest hardware available.
Incase of some games consoles fail quite badly, but usually when you are offered a choice it would be wise to go for the console version because you know it will work when you turn your console on.

consoles will never win the graphical part of the PC's it is becoase they can always be updated and upgraded
Quote:
And as for the online buddies you're talking about. Well, you probally already knew how i think about that, but i'll tell you agian. There are multiple ways to play online games. One way is to go play with random people, which also mean you might wanna keep contacts after playing. Another way is to play with people you regularly play with. Regulars, or friends. Now there are these people between, that you do know, but don't nessesairly want to play with. I would'nt call them friends, but you greet them, have confos with them and you play with them every now and then.
Your friends list should be small, like it is in real life.
Many people think that games also can't be personal. It's the internet after all right? Well, if the internet was so bad and dangerous, then why did i meet a whole bunch of people (including maus and carlo, both member on this forum) without any problems? In my opinion the internet is a great way to play games and be social. But when the internet becomes normal to one, he go back to the next best thing, offline story games.

i never said it was bad i only said that you can be the best of friends in a game but that doenst meen your friends in real life. i have seen that happen. also you cant have chips and drinks with them while you play with them also you miss so many things that you do have when they sit beside you. but i am warning people that we might lose the videogames to the computergames this means that i think that many people would end up on a PC becoase it offers more opertunety. but it also has some down sides. like i told you here.

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:15 pm 

maiky-nisute wrote:
lanparties is for hard core and not put away for every one. also that still means that you will be sitting alone behind 1 screen...

I don't think sitting in a room with 15 people and 5 screen playing against eachother is alone.

Quote:
i said computer games can kill video games

Yes, but most pc games these days are also avaiable for ps3 and 360.

Quote:
consoles will never win the graphical part of the PC's it is becoase they can always be updated and upgraded

Never say never. It's what you used as arguement about the lanning. Top notch pc's are hardcore. Normal people don't have those.

Quote:
i never said it was bad i only said that you can be the best of friends in a game but that doenst meen your friends in real life. i have seen that happen. also you cant have chips and drinks with them while you play with them also you miss so many things that you do have when they sit beside you. but i am warning people that we might lose the videogames to the computergames this means that i think that many people would end up on a PC becoase it offers more opertunety. but it also has some down sides. like i told you here.

You can be best friends in real life, but it could be the other way around online. Surely online you dare to say more, but the difference shoulnd be be that big. Me and Maus for example. I can't really say we're best buddies online, and the same goes for irl, but we do know eachother. Also, do not mistake friend with best friend.

Also, that is why i bought a computer in the first place. possebilities are endless. But i still enjoy playing good console games, because the quality and quantity of pc games with good singleplayer is low.

Probaly my last long post here, no more arguements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm 

I don't think sitting in a room with 15 people and 5 screen playing against eachother is alone. most lanparty's i have been to were 50 people with 50 pc's (often there were more pc's than people) also like i sayd lan party's is something done by die hards.

the PS3 and 360 were made to be more like the PC than the other way around

a console has a life span of 4 to 8 years and it is already out dated after 1 year.

shure you can be the best of friends with some one out of australia or the US but do they come over when you it is your birthday? or when you are moving and you need help with painting? etc etc. no becoase it is imposible and knowing that it is easyer to call or make friends becoase they dont have to do any thing to ceap you happy just talking. (i am not saying there is something wrong with that but i just rather have friends i can shake their hands with when ever we want)

the single player has seen his hay days and i realy think it will die out just like 2D games wil (not that i want to. i actualy hate the tought of it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am 

Queener wrote:
Nice Column Maiky.
Calling a guildmember a friend ain't bad, same as you have a friend list on your console for online games. It's just the best way to call it.

And in case of WoW, even Blizzard calls to you to take all things in moderation (even WoW) and tells you to go out with your friends. So the devellopers of MMO's and the players of MMO's know what they are doing. There are exceptions offcourse.

I agree. But even if the companies warn people about not playing to much, some people can't seem to handle their playtime well and play the game 24/7. Personally, I would go crazy if I would do that. :P

MMO's are fine, just as long as you can handle your playtime well. And I kind of agree with Maik about online friends, it's not like they will be flying to you when something happens, or when it's your birthday or something. Mostly they hardly care.

Anyways, good colum, Maik. ;)

Currently playing: Transformers: War For Cybertron (Xbox 360)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:48 am 

Jeantjuh wrote:
Queener wrote:
Nice Column Maiky.

I agree. But even if the companies warn people about not playing to much, some people can't seem to handle their playtime well and play the game 24/7. Personally, I would go crazy if I would do that. :P

MMO's are fine, just as long as you can handle your playtime well. And I kind of agree with Maik about online friends, it's not like they will be flying to you when something happens, or when it's your birthday or something. Mostly they hardly care.

WHOHOO !! thanks every one please do not forget to give me stars !!!
Anyways, good colum, Maik. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:26 am 

maiky-nisute wrote:

the PS3 and 360 were made to be more like the PC than the other way around

a console has a life span of 4 to 8 years and it is already out dated after 1 year.

shure you can be the best of friends with some one out of australia or the US but do they come over when you it is your birthday? or when you are moving and you need help with painting? etc etc. no becoase it is imposible and knowing that it is easyer to call or make friends becoase they dont have to do any thing to ceap you happy just talking. (i am not saying there is something wrong with that but i just rather have friends i can shake their hands with when ever we want)

the single player has seen his hay days and i realy think it will die out just like 2D games wil (not that i want to. i actualy hate the tought of it.)

Consoles are outdated right when a new console is released. Not when new pc hardware comes out.

If i'd have a disabled or old friend who is inable to help me with painting, he is not considered my friend?

And 2D games still are not gone, fortunately, but i agree. These days i every now and then just need some singleplayer to even apreciate multiplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:47 pm 

its always easy to be some ones friend if you know that you dont have any abdications to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 pm 

Does it have to be hard?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]